Friday, November 13, 2009

Interview with Cosmopolitan


Lauren Finney is one stylish lady, she's on the editing team at Cosmopolitan magazine, she has her blog "Where the Style Things Are" and she is a thrifty vintage shopper (note this pic of us over a year ago where she is already rocking a bib necklace long before Anthropologie and chain stores picked up the trend! She gives us the inside scoop on fashion below:

Name: Lauren Finney
Hometown: Atlanta, Georgia
1. What made you decide you wanted a career in the fashion industry?
I actually wanted to be a "serious journalist" and write - I applied to the editorial internship programs at most major magazines and ended up getting a call back from Cosmo fashion. I took an internship in the fashion department on a whim, loved it so much, and went back and changed my major to Fashion Journalism.
2. What does a day in the life at Cosmo look like?
A day at Cosmo could go any which way, depending on what we have going on. I could be preparing for a shoot, cleaning up and organizing the closet, doing still life styling in the digital studio for our shopping pages, or casting and booking features models. That's the one great thing about working at a magazine -a  typical day is full of all kinds of interesting things! I never sit at my desk for more than 20 minutes at a time.
3. Who are your favorite designers for your personal wardrobe?
I absolutely love what I call the Parisienne Trifecta: Barbara Bui, Isabel Marant, and Vanessa Bruno. I have a lot of little pieces from each of these designers that I try to mix in with my usual staples from places like H&M, Zara, and Uniqlo. For accessories I love Valentino - it's so chic and feminine, and I love bows!
4. What's the one item you are going to splurge on this season?
This season I have splurged on fur. I "recycle" by buying vintage furs, and have stocked up on cheap fur vests. They can be thrown over almost anything as a layering option.
5. Everytime I see you, you are rocking some amazing accessories - what are your favorite online shopping sites for jewelry?
A great place to get accessories is www.charmandchain.com for anything current and in season. They have designers ranging from Sequin to Dori Csengeri to Lizzie Fortunato to Dannijo. There is something for everyone - they have an amazingly edited collection. I want everything there! I also do a lot of random eBay searching, such as "vintage fish belt" or "vintage quilted bag." I collect accessories from completely random places, which makes them so special.
6. What is the best perk of a fashion editor?
The best perk is definitely being exposed to everything. I get to see and do so much, from parties to fashion shows, to the occasional gift. I love being able to be right in the middle of everything. I love being able to edit for the Cosmo girl and for myself personally.
7. Favorite celeb siting on the job?
Leighton Meester, for sure. I saw her in the office when Gossip Girl had just started and I was obsessed with Blair Waldorf. I am a little jaded in that I see a lot of famous people, but when I saw her I freaked. She is so gracious and pretty and I couldn't believe she was in our office. Alicia Keys was also amazing - so nice. An editor's sister was a huge fan so Alicia got on the phone with her and said hello! It's so nice to see there are normal celebrities out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment