Monday, October 12, 2009

Waking Up with Coco


I just got back from seeing the Coco Avant Chanel movie in New York and while it's been 20 hours since seeing the film I still can't shake the black & white and pearls. Here I am getting ready for the day channeling my inner Gabrielle.

I think that the movie was... good. It wasn't the biggest adventure I've seen on the silver screen but at least Shirley MacLaine wasn't acting the part on Lifetime with an American accent. (Audrey Tautou is adorable as Coco). I learned a lot about the independent woman who made good tailoring and simplicity a trend during a time of bedazzled feathered frocks. As America is rethinking its shopping habits, Chanel's classic look is still relevant and fun to copy at any budget which is why this $12 H&M turtle neck I'm wearing with a $3 vintage faux pearl necklace feels so "now". The wardrobe done by Karl Lagerfeld was simple in the film and the same dress reinvented itself on Coco throughout showing it's not how many pieces you own but how you style it. The end scene of an early Chanel fashion show delivered the classic tweed ensembles I was waiting for but that was then the credits rolled. It's showing 11/6 at the Cedar Lee and is worth the watch but if you get there on the 10th it's ok. See: Coco Before Chanel Website

No comments:

Post a Comment